Friday, June 19, 2009

The Great Los Angeles Macaroni and Cheese Quest


Being a good, humble Midwestern girl, there's nothing I love more than a giant helping of gooey macaroni and cheese.  I'm usually content with making the boxed version at home - there's something very comforting and inexplicably delicious about that powdered cheese, is there not??  It's one of life's great mysteries.

But my friends also know me as a true macaroni and cheese connoisseur.  Sad but totally true.  They know darn well that if macaroni and cheese is on the menu at any given restaurant, it's almost certainly going to end up in front of me.

I've had countless versions of this classic dish: varieties with unusual cheese choices (goat, blue, manchego) and/or unique additions (pancetta, lobster, corn), as well as many much more 'standard' dishes (straight up cheddar is hard to beat!).  But I feel I have yet to find the BEST restaurant macaroni and cheese out there.

So my quest begins.  Living in L.A., most of my hunt will take place here, although I'm certainly up for trying options whenever I take a road trip!

But I could use some help!  So please - chime in, voice your opinion - let me know whose mac I just HAVE to try.  I'll come back here and report on my findings.

Let it begin:  the Quest for the Holy Macaroni!

2 comments:

the girL said...

hope you realize i'm gonna need to be a part of this! ;-)

Unknown said...

Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills has a GREAT truffle mac n' cheese, if you can stand the froo-froo restaurant and clientele.